I hope you all had a splendidly super shabby weekend. Our lil princess is sick with the flu! :( I think we are over the main part so yipppeee! I just hate it when kiddies get sick.
But I wanted to share with you all some of my favorite tidbittie hints for shabbying up goodie stuff!!!!!!
(1) I love to paint vintage pieces while listening to old jazz and blues, big band music so that I can "feel" inspiration on how to transform it. Love to get in touch with the era it was made it and makes it easier to give it the best shabby look! So if you try that you might get a little more inspiration.
(2) When you paint anything and especially to shabby it up, use a lotion or vaseline. Rub all over your hands, but not too much to be all greasy. Then while you paint if you get any paint on your hands, just rinse off and the lotion allows the paint not to stick. Easy clean up if you don't have gloves.
(3) The best way to sand any shabby piece is to go at it with an electric sander. That way you don't overuse your hands, you let the sander do it for you. Also start out with a finer grade of paper and you can lightly sand off paint. You can always go back and sand off more.
(4) Primer? LOL I rarely use it. I am one who LOVES the chippy, old aged look to my furniture. However I do use primer on things I know I don't want to chip over time. If you don't use primer, your piece will over time get that fabulously originally looked aged piece to it. As you move it and use the piece, small chips of paint will fall off and it will have that old chippy feel to it.
(5) Colors? Try THEM ALL!!!! Experiment and HAVE FUN! You can always paint over pieces so no worry there. Don't be afraid to dare yourself with a new color.